POSITION: Part Time Innovation Educator
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This is a part time, hourly position, reporting to the Director of Education at Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITY: The Innovation Educator delivers and evaluates educational coding, programming, gaming, and eSports programs offered by the Education Department; delivers curriculum that is relevant and engaging to all guests regardless of experience, background, demographics, etc.
- Delivers and evaluates programming during Open to the Public hours, to teach coding, programming and cooperative eSports to students and their families from ages 10 through 100.
- Delivers curriculum that is relevant and engaging to a variety of guests regardless of experience, background, demographics, etc.
- Delivers coding workshops for students of various levels of experience.
- Assists with a weekly after school program for local students which can be taught onsite or remotely online to a live class.
- Continually works with FT Innovation staff to develop programming to bring great coding programs to as many local children as possible, both in the region and remotely.
- Assists in the maintenance of the equipment and software in the PNC Innovation Zone.
- Assists in implementing and maintaining software and hardware as needed for programs developed.
- Delivers unique programs in which children will be introduced to programming, game development, website creation, electronics, and more.
- Builds favorite games into the curriculum; provides a place where gaming can be celebrated as kids gain confidence in coding, mathematics, logic, and problem solving.
- Attends departmental and all-staff meetings as directed, staying informed of the ongoing changes in department and overall organization.
- Works a flexible schedule as assigned, including weekends, evenings, holidays, and special events.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Education.
This position description is relative to major requirements and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in computer science education or related field preferred. Coursework in computer science is required.
- Current PA Teaching Certification and working knowledge of PA Academic Standards strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and guest service skills are required. Must enjoy working with families and groups of children.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate professionally with educators and effectively with groups of children, including maintaining appropriate decorum in the PNC Innovation Zone. Must be able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with diverse individuals and groups including working in crowded or noisy environments.
- Must be poised, self-motivated, and a positive influence on team dynamics. Ability to make appropriate decisions quickly is essential.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed, including weekends, evenings, holidays, and special events.
- Must have a working knowledge of state and national technology curriculum standards.
- Must be able to work independently to a high standard of reliability and quality.
- Must be able to be a positive, professional representative of Whitaker Center to the community.
- Desire to build and sustain an inclusive and equitable environment and to be part of building the larger Whitaker Center culture and community, particularly with regard to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
- Must be able to teach a variety of age groups with enthusiasm, energy, and much creativity.
- Ability to stand for long periods, climb stairs frequently, and lift up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to understand and obey safety rules and regulations related to equipment and chemicals.
- Must have a willingness to utilize the newest educational technologies available in all educational programs.
- Must be able to provide courteous and effective service to the general public, co-workers and volunteers. Positive and friendly attitude at all times.
- Ability to work as part of a high performance team and be a strong team player.
- Ability to successfully complete a Pennsylvania State Police Clearance, a Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance obtained through the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services and a Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal History Record Information obtained by submitting a full set of fingerprints to the Pennsylvania State Police or its authorized agent for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Technology literate; demonstrated understanding of Microsoft and Internet research procedures and database application.
- Ability to understand, maintain, and upgrade computer hardware and software as necessary within the PNC Innovation Zone.
- Working knowledge of telephone, computer, printer, copier, and calculator.
- None at this time.
Click the link below to be directed to our job board.
Job Type : Part-time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Entry Level